Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Anchored in the Heavenlies

Anchored in the Heavenlies


This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil... (Hebrews 6:19).

"Above the high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil!" I love that line from the hymn, "The Solid Rock." As my wife and I were worshiping and praying today, I sang that line several times and sensed the nearness, the presence, the assurance of God.


I was very grateful for that nearness, because, as I write this, there has been more month than money. The royalty check that I was counting on to pay the mortgage was lower than it has ever been and not nearly enough to help us get caught up financially. I have juggled bills and tried to figure out what to do, and I have been tempted to panic. Unfortunately, I am ashamed to say that I have even given in to that temptation at times.


This is not something new for me. Feast or famine seems to be the lot of this self-employed, traveling music minister. Although I must admit, we usually feast, and we never have been truly without food.


Many times, when I am in the midst of a difficult situation, I am reminded of the things I so easily share from the pulpit, "God will give you a peace that transcends your circumstances." Or, "He is faithful and even though the night gets long and dark sometimes, there has never been a night without a dawn."


I believe those things with all my heart, I really do. Still, though, sometimes they seem much easier to say than to live. Then there are mornings like this morning when I sensed so tangibly the presence of my Father God as I sang, "My anchor holds within the veil."


Jesus said "Blessed are you who have not seen and yet believe." Hebrews 11 tells us that, "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen."


The truest demonstration of worship is when we can still trust Him even when things aren't going well. And for those of us involved in the worship ministry of our churches, how we worship when life is topsy-turvy will encourage others in their worship of God.


Do you want to hear how this financial need was met? I will tell you about it sometime. I know that it already has been met in the heavenlies, it will be manifested on earth somehow and, for now, this is all the answer I need.

Lord, I have a tendency to want quick fixes and easy answers. Forgive my lack of trust in You. When the answer is slower to come than I would like, I thank You that I still have the assurance of Your Word, Your Spirit and Your presence. Cause my heart--cause our hearts together--to believe that our citizenship really is in a higher place. Even in the midst of not seeing an easy answer, we still thank You for faith. And we don't mean merely wishful thinking, or using spirituality as an excuse to be lazy when we say the word "faith," but we thank You for the very real awareness of Your Father-heart for us. Great is Your faithfulness! Thank You that our anchor holds, strong and sure, within the veil! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment